Transfer Station
The Killingworth Transfer Station is located on Recycle Way, on Route 81, just north of the Killingworth Library. Use of the Transfer Station is open to Killingworth residents at no charge.

To bring your trash to the Transfer Station, you must display a current town sticker on your vehicle’s windshield. A sticker is good for only one vehicle. Each household is entitled to stickers for two vehicles.

Stickers are available at the
  • Tax Collector's Office, Town Hall, during regular business hours. Bring current registration for each vehicle.
  • The Transfer Station office, during normal hours of operation.
To obtain stickers, you must fill out a registration form and present your vehicle registration. The form is available to the right; to save time, print it out and bring it with you.

When you sell your vehicle, be sure to remove the town sticker. Even if the new owner lives in Killingworth, a new sticker will be required.

Remember, through our taxes we pay for each pound of trash we dispose of; when nonresidents use our transfer station, we are paying for their free ride.

Killingworth pays by the ton for solid waste disposal, but we get paid a small amount for every ton of recyclables. So the more we recycle, the lower our taxes.
In addition to the recyclables you can bring to the Transfer Station, many items can be kept out of the household waste bins:
  • Table scraps can be composted. You can find information at such websites as
  • Plastic bags can be brought back to most supermarkets; better yet, bring reusable bags when you shop.
  • Paint in containers with labels – both latex and oil-based – should be brought to a PaintCare drop-off location such as Killingworth True Value.
  • Used books can be donated to the Killingworth Library.
  • Old eyeglasses are collected by the Lions Club in boxes around town.
Killingworth’s Transfer Station is more user friendly than almost any other town’s. Let’s keep it that way.

What can I Bring?
Residents may dispose of regular household garbage, all paper (newspaper, cardboard,office paper), bottle and cans including plastics #1 -#7 without additional fees.
Brush – up to 3" in diameter and not longer than 8' in length.
Scrap metal – items must be drained of any oil or gasoline

What shouldn't I Bring?
No hazardous wastes such as lead based paint, asbestos or pesticides should be brought to the facility. These items may be disposed of at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days set up in the area throughout the late spring and summer.

No wood larger than 3" in diameter may be disposed of at the facility.
No clean fill (rocks, concrete, dirt etc.) can be disposed of at the site

Estuary Region Household Hazardous Waste
The Estuary Region Household Hazardous Waste Facility is located in Essex (Rte 9, Exit 4, Past the CRRA Transfer Station, up hill, on left)
Please Note: Identification required! Drivers’ licenses will be checked.
There is no fee to attend.
Commercial waste is not accepted at HHW Collections.

Acceptable Materials
    Drain cleaners
    Metal polish
    Oven cleaners
    Floor cleaners
    Photo chemicals
    Full/partially-full aerosols
    Arts & crafts supplies
    Household batteries
    Asbestos-containing material (double-bag in plastic bags & wet down)
    Water-reactive materials (such as peroxides and metallic sodium)
    Mercury Thermometers (A free digital thermometer will be given in exchange.)
    Fire starters including hand-held propane torch cylinders
    Old chemistry kits
    Transmission fluid
    Gasoline, kerosene
    Waxes and polishes
    Brake fluid
    Rust preventatives
    Rust preventatives
    Wood preservatives
    Wood strippers
    Oil-based paint
    Lead-based paint
    Paint thinner
    Weed killer
    Insect sprays
    Rodent poison
    Muriatic acid/pool chemicals
    Cesspool cleaners
Unacceptable Materials
    Latex paint (This can be air-dried or dried with sawdust or kitty litter and disposed in garbage)
    Explosives, fireworks, ammunition (Contact State Police)
    BBQ Propane tanks (Contact propane gas company)
    Fire Extinguishers (COntact your fire department)
    Empty aerosal cans
    Radioactive material
    Infectious or biologically active materials
    Waste Oil
    Vehicle Batteries
    Unknown materials
    Any commercial hazardous waste
Town of Killingworth
323 Route 81, Killingworth, CT 06419
Contact by Email