Town Services
Animal Control
The Killingworth ACO is responsible for handling all concerns regarding domestic animals as well as providing information referrals and intervention for concerns regarding wild animals. The officer checks for messages regularly. If you need 24/7 emergency veterinary assistance, call 860-347-8387.
Marian Smith 860 663-1765, ext. 219

Community Gardens
The Killingworth Community Gardens' mission is to provide residents with an opportunity to come together for the purpose of food production, environmental education and to encourage multi-generational gatherings. Individuals and groups at all levels of gardening expertise are welcome.

The gardens are located at Parmelee Farm, 465 Route 81, just north of the HK Middle School. The 130-acre town-owned property is open to the public for passive recreation. The 19th century farmhouse as well as most the out buildings are not open at this time. The small shed adjacent to the front garden is available for storage. Parking is available in front of the farmhouse as well as in front of the gardens.
For more information please visit

Town Counsel: David J. Tycz, Howard, McMillan & Tycz, LLC
Bond Counsel: Pullman & Comley
Engineer: Nathan Jacobson & Assoc.
IT: Sydell Associates, LLC
PurpleDog Web Productions

Fire Marshal
Dennis Campbell - (o) (860) 663-1182 (c) 860-391-5603
Deputy Fire Marshal: Jeff Heser (Clinton FM), Clifford Weed

Justices of the Peace
Killingworth has up to fifteen Justices of the Peace: five from each major political party and five unaffiliated justices, appointed by the Town Clerk. Justices are appointed to four-year terms in U.S. presidential election years.

Justices of the Peace may
  • Administer oaths (CGS 1-24)
  • Take acknowledgments (CGS 1-29)
  • Join persons in marriage (CSG 46b-22)
  • Take depositions (CGS 52-148c)
The Justices of the Peace currently serving in Killingworth are:

Killingworth Library
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday 10am-4:30pm; Tuesday, Thursday 10am-8pm
Phone: 860-663-2000

Municipal Historian
The Municipal Historian, appointed each year by the Board of Selectmen, advises the town on matters related to the historic legacy of Killingworth.

Thomas Lentz

Open Burning Official
Residents who wish to kindle an outdoor fire, other than in an outdoor grill, fireplace, or approved incinerator, must obtain a permit beforehand from the Open Burning Official. Such fires may not be within 50 feet of a building or other structure, and such burning may be conducted only between sunrise and sunset. The Open Burning Official grants or denies open burning permits in accordance with Section 22a-174 of the Connecticut Statutes as amended, the regulations of the Department of Environmental Protection, and Killingworth Ordinances. Owing to environmental and safety concerns, open burning is not encouraged.

Ethan D. Drain 860-853-8835

Parmelee Farm
Parmelee Farm is a 130-acre historic site located at 465 Route 81 in Killingworth. Many community activities are held there, including stonewall building workshops, hikes, and the Boy Scouts' Klondike Derby. The Parmelee Farm connects our community to the natural environment and cultural heritage of Killingworth through education, preservation, passive recreation, and the arts.
For more information please visit

Probate Court
Killingworth belongs to the Saybrook Probate District, located in the Old Saybrook Town Hall, 302 Main Street, Old Saybrook, Connecticut 06475. The court is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Under special circumstances, arrangements may be made to meet with the court in Killingworth.

Jeannine Lewis, Judge of Probate 860-510-5028

Public Transportation
NEW Old Saybrook/Madison route serves Madison, Clinton, Killingworth, Higganum, Haddam and Middletown and is available along Route 81 in Killingworth. With one day advance reservation, Dial-A-Ride provides transportation from the door of your pick-up location to the door of your destination anywhere within the towns of Chester, Clinton, Deep River, Essex, Killingworth, Lyme, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, and Westbrook. The general fare is $3.50 per ride; for seniors, the suggested donation is $1.75. Call 860-510-0429.

Social Services
The Municipal Agent for the Elderly assists town residents by providing information and referrals to local, state, and federal services and benefit programs. The Municipal Agent is familiar with programs and benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP (Food Stamps), Social Security, protective services, legal services, adult day care, housing, transportation, and local senior and community groups.

Mercedes Riccuiti , Municipal Agent for the Elderly 860-663-1765, ext. 217

Tree Warden
The Tree Warden is responsible for the care and control of all trees on public properties in Killingworth, including roadways. If a tree is scheduled to be removed or pruned, the Tree Warden will post a notice on the tree at least five days in advance, unless the tree poses an imminent threat to public safety. If an objection is registered, the Tree Warden will hold a public hearing on the matter and render a decision in writing. The Tree Warden is appointed by the Board of Selectmen for a one-year term beginning January 1.

Robert Bruce Fagan 860-663-1765, ext. 403

Town of Killingworth
323 Route 81, Killingworth, CT 06419
Contact by Email