Health Department
Due to COVID-19, this office is open to the public by appointment only. Please call to set up an appointment

PFAS Resources:

Approved Laboratories: CT-Approved-Laboratories-Certified-to-Test-PFOS_PFOA_Revised-_1_2021.pdf

Questions about drinking water from public supplies:
DPH Drinking Water Section: (860) 509-7333 or email to 

Questions on drinking water from private wells and treatment options: 
DPH Private Well Program: (860) 509-8401 or email to 

Questions about PFAS health effects:
DPH Environmental & Occupational Health Assessment Program: (860) 509-7740 or email to

Questions on investigation and cleanup of PFAS:  
DEEP Remediation Division:, (860) 424-3546, or, (860) 424-3781
CT Interagency PFAS Task Force: PFAS Task Force (


Help slow the spread of Covid-19:
  • Wear a Mask
  • Stay 6 feet apart
  • Avoid crowds
  • Wash Hands Often

Follow this link to learn if you are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine:

If you are eligible and need assistance signing up for a vaccination, please call the

Killingworth Covid-19 Phone line at 860-663-1765 ext. 220

You can also email the health department at

COVID-19 Testing Locations:
Follow this link to search for local testing sites: 211 Covid Testing Site Locator

Quarantine Guidance:

Business Sector Rules for Restaurants, Salons, etc.:

Additional Resources

CT Department of Public Health (DPH) Coronavirus (Covid-19) home page

CDC Coronavirus (Covid-19) home page

School Resources:

Killingworth Health Department Functions/Services

The Killingworth Health Department works to prevent illness, promote wellness and protect health within the community. The Health Department is responsible for monitoring communicable diseases, enforcing local and State public health laws and regulations, providing health education and ensuring preparedness in the event of a public health emergency. Services include:
  • Regulation of onsite subsurface sewage disposal systems (septic systems) including soil testing, plan review, permits to construct, site inspections, B100 plan reviews, permits to discharge and pump-out reminders
  • Regulation of food service establishments including routine inspections, plan review and permits to operate
  • Approval for construction of private wells and review and approval of private well water samples
  • Routine inspection of day care centers
  • Investigation of environmental health complaints including lead poisoning, substandard housing, public health nuisances, etc.
  • Tracking of communicable diseases and conducting investigations when needed
  • Dissemination of public health information
  • Participation on a regional basis to ensure preparation and readiness in a public health emergency

The Health Department works closely with the Public Health Nursing Agency to ensure that we:

  • Identify, investigate, and monitor community health hazards and problems;
  • Mobilize community partnerships and take action to solve those problems;
  • Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health;
  • Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues;
  • Link people to needed personal health services.

Your input and feedback is important. Please contact the Director of Health should you have any questions, need any additional information or have any suggestions

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How often should I pump my septic tank?
A. The Town of Killingworth requires that your septic tank be pumped at least every 5 years. Undersized tanks and poorly functioning systems will require more frequent pumping.

Q. How are septic tanks sized?
Septic tanks are sized based upon the number of bedrooms. A 3 bedroom house requires a 1,000 gallon septic tank, 1,250 gallons for a 4 bedroom house and 1,500 gallons for a 5 bedroom house.

Q. How do I know if my well water is safe?
A. The only way to know that your drinking water is safe is by having it analyzed by a State certified laboratory.

Q. How often should I test my well water and what tests should I ask for?
A. Well water should be tested yearly for basic water potability including total coliform bacteria, nitrates, nitrites, pH, odor, chloride, hardness, apparent color, sulfate, turbidity, iron, manganese and sodium. You may want to consider testing for radon also.

Q. . Can I make food in my kitchen and sell it at a fair or other public event?
A. For the most part no, although there are exceptions. Connecticut requires all food at public events be prepared in commercial kitchens. Exceptions include baked goods (cookies, cakes), and jams, jellies, and preserves made from fruit grown on a residential farm.

Q. Do you regulate bake sales and pot luck suppers?
A. No. The law allows food to be sold or distributed at non-commercial functions such as an educational, religious, political, or charitable organization's bake sale and pot luck supper.
Town of Killingworth
323 Route 81, Killingworth, CT 06419
Contact by Email